I am chronicling the back stories for each quilt I have created. This is the story of Dan Houck’s Christmas quilt.
After making my first quilt I made the same mistake many new quilters make. I decided to make a KING size quilt to put on our bed. Since this was to be a present, Dan of course got to pick out the colors he liked. Unfortunately for me, the colors certainly were not ones I would have chosen.As a result, this quilt took a very long time to create not only due to the size but my reluctance to work on it. The colors didn’t make me feel happy and cheerful. Ultimately the quilt was finished. I had the quilt quilted professionally using bears in the borders. Dan was thrilled to finally get his long promised quilt.
1. Work in smaller sizes to learn and perfect the techniques that will be used in the quilt.
2. Working with colors you adore make the process much more enjoyable.
3. Specialized tools can make the cutting and sewing SO much easier.
4. Buy Specialized Tools – many and often. See #3.
5. Paying for professional quilting of a large quilt is very smart, especially if you are new to quilting and want something special.